"Hide", "Remove", "Show more" - Too much Facebook?
Eftersom det är en re-post så får ni ursäkta att inlägget är på engelska. Orkar inte sitta och översätta bara för att jag klistrar in här. :-)
<snip>
I am an addict. I guess I have to face the fact and just embrace this.
Why this sudden flash of awareness and insight?
Well... This is what happened today:
I was browsing my "favourite" Swedish news site (DN.se) and was met by a HUGE article about some completely uninteresting wedding going on in Stockholm, and my first instinct was to look for the "Hide"-button in the top right corner of the article to be able to filter out any further posts on this topic.
No I don't care about some king or his children being in the news, less of these. No I don't care the least about football ("soccer" for the American reader), remove completely. Yes I find "Some Reporter" to be writing better articles than most others, please show more from him/her if possible. etc, etc.
The same goes for Google - why can't I control the results in this way?
"Ok, so this time you gave me a lot of results about university degrees when searching for 'BSC' - that's not what I intended, less of these results please. Now update the result and give me more about 'Base Station Controller' because that's what I wanted but didn't want to have to spell out..."
The more I think about it the less I understand why this is not in place at all news and feed sites? (Twitter - show less of "X", show more of "Y", hide topic "#foo", ...) It's such an obvious feature to want to have as a consumer of the information. To control the information flow...
I guess I could just write my own "reader" for DN and have that feature, the same goes for Twitter (Google will be much harder to do anything about). Don't hold your breath waiting for such a reader though - I haven't been in hack-mood for quite some time now...
Perhaps I should just pitch this idea to the different sites instead? But then again, it's probably not in their interest. Ah well. Life goes on. Information continues to swamp me and I will pay less and less attention to anything that is actually important... *shrugs*
</snip>

No comments:
Post a Comment